Monday, August 13, 2012

Of Mice and Little Ladies

This all started about a month ago when I was vacuuming the house. I decided to move the couch from the "L" - shaped wall so I could vacuum behind it. That's when I got my first clue.... dog food scattered all over. Probably a good 30 pieces or so. Well, knowing it was the first time that spot had been vacuumed in goodness knows how long - remember, my husband was a bachelor for 3 years with a dog - I picked up the pieces and thought Gunnar's food had been spilled over there.

Fast forward a week or two, I notice a piece of dog food on the basement stairs. I thought it was funny since Gunnar usually goes up and down the stairs with me, but not while he's eating. Oh well. Once again, I figured Gunnar had maybe kicked it (20 ft) away from his bowl and under the basement door.

Now, we're up to Saturday night. I'm getting annoyed with the light above my head having one working bulb instead of 3 so I decide to change that. As I'm pushing the couch out of the "L", I notice another 10 pieces of dog food. So I pause... and tell Jared, "I think we have a mouse". At this time my poor husband is working on his sermon and has no idea what I'm talking about, so he somewhat annoyed says, "..um ok". Me, "I really think it's a mouse. How else would Gunnar's food get on the OTHER side of the wall when that's not possible and we know he's too big to get under the couch." And once again, Jared - trying to be patient with me - looks at me and says "I don't know Leah." The things I put my husband through. well, I decided if he was too busy I'd gather evidence. I compared the "couch" dog food with fresh ones and noticed the "couch" ones were nibbled down. Not to mention the droppings around them, Gunnar's massive size keeping him from getting under the couch, and the "L" shaped wall blocking any food from "jumping" out of Gunnar's bowl. I had my answer.

 After picking up THOSE pieces, Jared was done and we discussed the issue. Even got to show off my detective skills! So the next morning, I was curious. Sure enough, another 5 pieces were under the couch. We have a visitor. Maybe even more than one. It's obviously not the mouse that drowned in our water pump 2 months ago. Maybe a close relative. All I know is, this isn't my first rodeo (my roommates from the Row house in college can attest to that) and we are getting mouse traps.Once again, country life is always keeping me on my toes! Not to mention the broken down tractor in our front lawn, and half uprooted tree trunk. Ha ha ha All I'm missing is my cowgirl boots! I am officially a country girl - and loving every minute of it.

Also, I wanted to wrap this blog up with a Happy Birthday to my baby sister Londyn Grace Whitney Smith!!
She's a whopping 5 years old today! I miss that girl. My little diva/drama queen sister.
I always wanted a little sister. Took me until I was 18 to get one, but I love her very much and am so glad God blessed our family by adding her to the bunch. What a sweetie pie!

1 comment:

  1. I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.
    (about the mouse, not your sister)

    Happy Birthday, Londyn!

    ReplyDelete