Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Crash Course

This being my first blog, please bear with me as I learn to be more eloquent with my postings of which I'm sure this one will probably be lacking. Actually, if anything, this post is all about "crash courses" and "new beginnings". I am a newlywed. Happily married to my best friend Jared after 3 1/2 years of dating. In June, I happily moved out to Central Illinois to help my husband at the church he pastor's and jump into a new way of life with him and our Golden Retriever, Gunnar.

I am not sure entirely what these blogs will be about, but that's the freedom in writing one isn't it? The freedom of expression. I do have desires for this blog. I desire that it will encourage and uplift. That it will be full of trials and triumphs. That it will be a place for me to share what God is doing in my life. And that at times, it will be challenging to not only type, but for you to read (and hopefully apply) as well.

Being married for 1 1/2 months in no way makes me an expert, but in one way I am getting a deeper understanding of what it is to love someone and to choose to love them everyday. The daily routine of life becomes one that can dull the marriage or it can be used to sharpen it. Jared and I have been reading devotions from " Devotions for a Sacred Marriage" by Gary Thomas. This particular version is a weekly one, but we try to read it daily. I would recommend this book to any married couple. It is full of challenges to see beyond your spouse's sins or shortcomings and to see them, cherish them, love them as God does. Having been married for a short time, I am not excluded from these things. I have already apologized to Jared numerous times for snapping at him, speaking unlovingly, sounding disrespectful, and even for actions I failed to do. These things happen, but I keep reminding myself that just because it happens, doesn't make it okay. I need to keep going back and asking forgiveness, just like I do with God when I sin against Him. I make it right again. I wish I could say I always get it right, but then that would make me like Jesus - perfect - which is definitely not true (or scriptural).

My challenge to you would be... how am I loving my spouse? Do I admit when I do something disrespectful/unloving or do I let it slide by unless my husband/wife brings it up?

I can guarantee, the sooner you start taking note of your shortcomings and acknowledge them to your spouse, they will notice and (in time) show their appreciation for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment